More About Fukuoka
Ruins of Najima Castle
Najima Castle is surrounded by the sea in three directions and was made at the time of the civil war (1500-1575). Feudal lord Tachibana Akitoshi used this as his branch castle. The prominent central government lord Toyotomi Hideyoshi bestowed this castle on a local feudal lord, Kobayakawa Takakage, who then renovated it. Although, Kuroda Nagamasa, the first lord of Fukuoka also stayed at this castle, he started building the Fukuoka Castle in Fukusaki in 1601 since Najima Castle was too small and was geographically inconvenient for the development of a castle town.
Emperor Ojin, Empress Jingu and Princess Tamayori are enshrined at this shrine which was established in 923. It is one of a trio of Hachiman shrines along with Usa and Iwashimizu Shrines. The Fukuoka area has also been the site of many important events. The famous Heike family fled here; battles against the Mongolian troops took place here; the famous warrior, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, stayed here to send troops to the Korean Peninsula; and a tea ceremony by Sen-no Rikyu, a tea master, was also held here.
Procession of the Hakozaki Shrine Deity
This procession is held once every two years from September 12 to 14 during the autumn festival, "Hojo-e." In olden times, the holy palanquin on which the deity sat used to cross the sea and proceed all the way to a temporary shrine at Ebisu town in Hakata. Although many festivals similar to this are held throughout the nation, the processions only proceed between the main shrine and the temporary shrine during the daylight hours. The deity procession of this shrine, however, keeps its original tradition by making a long procession during the night around the land governed by the deity.
Najima Mast Stones
There are nine cylindrical stones jutting out of the water at Shirohama beach in Najima which disappear at high tide. These mast stones and the trees in the adjacent hills belong to the oak tree family peculiar to the third chronicle stratum and consist of shale, sand stone and conglomerate. The stones were named after the legend of the Kashii family. Supposedly, when Empress Jingu made a triumphal return from abroad, her vessels were left here and their masts were said to have become fossilized.
Anchor of a Mongolian Ship
Nearly 40 anchors which were used by ships of the Mongolian troops that were sunk when invading Kyushu and struck by a huge typhoon, which was later referred to as a "divine wind" (Kamikazi) have been found in western Japan, mainly around Hakata Bay. Square pillar-shaped stones 2 to 3 meters in height, wide at the center, narrow at both ends and roughly made with a chiseled surface, were framed in wood and used as anchors for the ships.
Magemono are the items made from the technique of bending wooden sheets of cedar and cypress which are bound together with cherry bark. The seam and the grain of these items are well-balanced making the technique very appealing. This box making was later developed when Hakozaki Shrine produced commercial vessels using the same method.
"Sick was i during my trip. It is not I myself any more, but only my dreams. That run around Kareno (a desolate field)." On his deathbed, Basho (a famous "haiku" poet) composed the above-mentioned poem which was noted by his apprentice, Donshu. This memorial mound was erected in 1700.
"YO" School of Flintlock Use
This is a rifle handling martial art school which originated with the Kuroda family of Fukuoka.
Nine-Story Stone Tower
This 4.2 meter-high tower has nine roofs made out of granite and is assumed to have been built at the end of the Kamakura era (mid 1300's). Images of Buddha are inscribed on the four sides of the square pillars. The tower was erected for the resting of the soul of a tragic hero, Yoneichimaru, who killed himself in the pine field in Hakozaki after being betrayed by his master.
Eminent sea gods like Sokotsu Watatsumi, Okitsu Watatsumi and Uwatsu Watatsumi are worshipped in this shrine. The Azumi family who took control over the fishermen in ancient times came from this area and the gods mentioned above are the one that the Azumi family had paid their respects to. Located on Shikanoshima near the ferry landing.
Mai-Matsubara Ancient Tomb
This ancient tomb is located on the top of a hill east of the Mai-Matsubara apartment development and the hill is located within a natural park. The tomb is round, 4 meters high, and 25 meters in diameter. There is a chambered corridor in which bodies were preserved. The chamber, however, can not be seen nowadays since it is buried. The tomb is estimated to have been built in the 6th century and a powerful leading clan in the Kashii district is allegedly buried here.
Monuments to Manyo-Ka
Fukuoka City built eighteen monuments to Manyo-ka within the city from 1967 to 1976 in locations where poems from the Anthology of Classical Verse are closely connected to the local history. Ten out of the eighteen monuments are located on Shikanoshima Island.
Miya-No-Mae Ancient Tomb
This tomb comprises of three mounds. Two were found within the precincts of Ogami Shrine when an investigation was conducted in 1970 for construction of an apartment complex in the area. One of them is round, 10 meters in diameter, and contains a main chamber room which is approximately a 2.3 meter cube. Unglazed ceramic ware and reddish pottery found in the area date this tomb from the 6th century.
Kinin is the golden seal presented to a messenger from Japan by the Chinese Late-Hang Dynasty King Kobutei in 57 A.D. and was later discovered on Shikanoshima Island in 1784. It is designated as a national treasure and is on display at the Fukuoka Are Museum. The place where the kin-in was excavated is now a park. nearby there is a monument for the resting of the soldier's souls who died in a typhoon at the time of the first Mongolian invasion int he 13th century, and another monument to thank those who prayed for a Japanese victory during the second Mongolian invasion to Japan.
Ruins of Tachibana
Otomo Sadatoshi built this castle on the top of Mt. Tachibana. He, however, lost in battle to Bekki Akitsura, who later ascended to the Tachibana family, to take control of the castle. In 1586, Akitora, the son of Akitoshi, fought against the Shimazu family who was on a northern expedition to conquer Kyushu Island. The tachibana castle was later destroyed when Kuroda Nagamasa came to power in this area. There are several stone walls remaining on the top of the Mountain.
The Hayama ceremony, offered annually on November 19 at Shishiki Shrine in Nata at the time of the autumn festival, according to a legend started when Empress Jingu held a big banquet while staying here before dispatching her troops to Korea. For the ceremony, the local village is divided in two and a youngster from each group competes to see who can cook a fish the fastest to serve to god. The group which wins the competition is granted a big catch of fish throughout the year.
Emperor Chuai, Empress jingu, Emperor Ojin and God Sumiyoshi are enshrined here. Emperor Chuai passed away here when he was on an expedition to western Japan. Treated in a different way compared with other shrines, this shrine (pictured above) did not appear in the "Engi-shiki" (legal records of the Heian era). Kashii had been more prosperous as a trade port than Hakata Port, since the 12th century when trade at the Korokan (ancient guest house) declined. When the Mongolian troops invaded Kyushu, in the 13th century, the Otomo family of Bungo kept guard on the Kashii and Tatara district and since that time reined in these districts.
Ceremonial Lion Dance and Music
The lion dance and music is dedicated to the Kashii Shrine twice a year on April 17 and on October 17 by local parishioners. This ceremony is recorded in the Emperor's message of 1744 and the date "1798" is inscribed in the large drum, indicating that the dance and music were dedicated in the Edo period. The lion and lioness dance to drum music while a flute gives a feeling that the two of them are really having fun.
In 1274 when the Mongolian troops attacked Kyushu, this site was a main battle field. Now the battle field has been turned into a public park. Within the park, there are bronze images of the former Emperor Kameyama who was active in the battle, and Saint Nichiren. There is also the Historical Hall of the Mongolian Invasion and Toka Ebisu shrine, where the god of wrath, "Ebisu" is enshrined within the park.
During the reign of emperor Shomu, a daughter of the Most Reverend Priest in Chikuzen was falsely charged with an unknown crime and was executed. This mound was erected when a memorial service for her dead spirit was held here. a monument made in 1344 from the square stone is peculiar to the Japanese Middle Ages (1192-1602) and the three letters of Sanskrit inscribed on the stone express images of Buddha such as Vairocana byddha. Shogenji temple is located next to this mound on Mr. Nureginu which was opened in 1669.
Historical Hall of the Mongolian Invasion
The Mongolian troops attacked Japan twice in the past, once in 1274 and again in 1281. Both times the troops failed to conquer this area, but weapons used by the Mongolian and Japanese troops and paintings of the Mongolian attacks described in the later days are on public view at this hall.
Hakata Historical Hall
This historical hall is located within the precincts of Kushida shrine, which is highly respected as the shrine of the guardian god of the town of Hakata. In the hall, many historically important items are preserved, such as; the "Yamakasa Picture Folding Screen" which is painted by each succeeding generation of the Mitomo family, describing Fukuoka's biggest festival; and a startling large tablet of a big horse used for the float race during the Yamakasa festival.
The Ruins of Kamiya Sotan's Villa
Kamiya Sotan (1533-1635) was a leading trader in the town of Hakata. His great grandfather, Jutei was a founder of the Iwami silver mine. In 1587, he had the honor of meeting with Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the famous war lord, at a tea ceremony held at Osaka Castle, at which time he was dubbed the "Monk of Chikushi." Sotan was also a tea master and often met with the best known tea master, Senno Rikyu.
This is a New Year custom held in order to pray for prosperity of the new year and is when people bring into their homes a pine tree in which they believe that the Holy Spirit of God dwells. Matsubayashi is a procession formed by three gods of wealth, Fukujin, Ebisu and Daikoku with children taking part in the festival procession. It is held each May on the 3rd and 4th during the Hakata Dontaku festival.
The Hakata Gion Yamagasa Festival
The Hakata Gion Yamagasa festival originated from Gion Goryoe which began in the Heian era (794-900). According to the legend of the shrine, it is said that the beginning of this event was when the Most Reverend priest Shoichi Kaizan of the Shoten temple went around the town of Hakata on a Buddhist ritual palanquin in the Kamakura era in order to drive away an epidemic.
Hakata Textile Hall
It is said that the weaving technique of Hakata textile was initiated at the time it was introduced by Yasaemon Mitsuda (1202-1282) who accomplished Ben-en Enni to Sung, China. Hakata textile which was chosen as an item to be presented to the Shogunate from the Fukuoka clan was especially noted as the "Hakata Kenjo Sash."
Gingko Tree at Kushida Shrine
It is unknown how old this ginko tree is, but a monument for the preservation of the tree built in 1918 states that it is more than 1,000 years old. On auspicious occasions, the tree is sung about in a ceremonial song: "What a grand gingko tree this is! Still vivid and active. Full of branches and twigs. Full of leaves."
Ruins of Shimai Soshitsu's Villa
Soshitsu is one of the prominent Hakata traders who was active from the Azuchi Momoyama era (1576-1600) to the early Edo era (1603-1867) and passed away in 1615. He learned tea rituals from tea masters like Senno Rikyu and Furuta Oribe. On 1587, he played an important role when town land zoning under the order of Hideyoshi was done.
This is a shakuhachi (bamboo flute) which was played at Fumonzan Itchoken, a mendicant priest's temple of the Fuke sect. The Fuke sect which was founded by Zen priest Fuke of Tang, China is a unique sect where they devote themselves solely to playing the bamboo flute in which they consider they would attain their highest mental state.
Naka-Hachiman Ancient Tomb
This ancient tomb is a keyhole-shaped tumulus, the oldest and largest in scale in the Fukuoka plains and is the tomb for a leader in this area in the early Kofun (Burial Mound) era (A.D. 300-600). It is 75 meters long, and 50 meters in diameter on the rounded back which is 5 meters high.
Archeological Operation Center
This center was established in February 1982 and aims at arranging, preserving, studying and displaying excavated items and documents from the excavation sites. Excavated items and documents are on display and are available for research by people in various fields.
Kenzuka Ancient Tomb
This ancient keyhole-shaped tumulus is estimated to be the tomb of a leader who reigned the Fukuoka plains in the late 6th century. The tumulus is 140 meters long, 140 meters wide and 75 meters high.
Imasato-Fudo Ancient Tomb
This round-shaped tomb is 34 meters in diameter and is located on top of a low hill extending from Tsukuguma hill. The tomb has a corridor chamber made of granite stones.
The Ruins of Hie
This 70 hectare (173 acre) sized ruin is located on a low hill extending to the south of JR Hakata Station. Many old structures were found here which existed from the Yayoi era (300 B.C. to 300 A.D.) to the Muromachi era (1392-1593). People settled here sometime during the first half of the Yayoi era creating villages and bell-jar graveyards. Moats were made around the villages in the second half of the era.
The Ruins of Kanenokuma
These ruins are a historic spot which include many bell-jar graves which are unique to the Yayoi era. The bell-jar graves and sacrofagi are maintained within a building in the park and visitors can observe these tombs which are kept intact after having been excavated.
The Ruins of Itazuke
This is one of the oldest farming villages in Japan. This village consists of houses and storage holes on a hill which is surrounded by a V-shaped ditch running 80 meters to the east and west, and 110 meters to the north and south. The ditch is 2 to 4 meters wide and 2 to 3 meters deep. There are tombs outside of the ditch. Rice paddies were made on the terraced fields which were raised a little extending to the east and west. There is an irrigation canal, a small dam, ridges, and water inlets, and outlets for taking water to the fields.
Sugawara Michizane is enshrined at this temple. The name of this shrine came from a legend that when michizane landed at Sodeno-port, fishermen made a round rug out of his fishing nets and set up a place for Michizane to rest. In the Edo era (1615-1868), this was called the "Round Net Shrine."
The grand deity of Kushida Shrine, Ohata Nushina-mikoto and the grand deity of Gion Shrine, Amaterasu-omikami are enshrined here. The shrine was built in 757 and is worshipped as a guardian for the town of Hakata.
This belongs to the Shin-sect of the Nishi Honganji school. Shoku is a disciple of Rennyo who rejuvenated the Shin sect and started this temple. In 1529 he established a martial arts hall at Fugendo town. There is also a tomb of the nun, Meigetsu, who in her youth used to be a well known prostitute in the town of Hakata.
Koshiro and Mannosuke Ito, children of Kozaemon Ito who was a trader in the early Edo era are enshrined here. Kozaemon was executed in 1667 on charges of trafficking weapons to Korea. His family members, including his children were apparently killed. People felt sorry for them and decided to dedicate this shrine to them. Two of his children are now deities for children's health.
Priest Nisshu opened this temple. There is a famous episode involving this temple: Preist nitchu of Myokakuji temple in Kyoto had a heated religious debate on April 25, 1603 with Missionary Furusawa who was faithfully trying to spread Christianity among the Japanese. Nitchu, for winning the debate, was given a site for a temple by Kuroda Nagamasa, the first feudal lord in Fukuoka in the Edo era and Nitchu later built Shoko Zanshoryu-ji temple.
This shrine is the most time-honored in the Chikuzen area and presumably started the other "sumiyoshi" shrines throughout the nation. The shrine used to be located at the edge of a cape along the Naka river from where Hakata bay could be seen and where the deity could be worshipped as the one who safeguards all vessels.
Saint Shoko allegedly built this temple from 1211 to 1213. After sustaining damage, it was rebuilt in 1477 and Emperor Gotsuchimikado and Ouchi Takayoshi offered prayers here. This temple was famous throughout Japan as having the most treasures. The tomb of the Somasaki family, master Hakata doll makers, is preserved here.
Priest Shchu of Myokoji and Tachibana Jitsuzan built the main building of this temple in 1696. Priest Manzan of Kaga Daiijoii temple was then invited and opened this temple. Jitsuzan was a leading retainer of the third feudal lord of the Kuroda family, Kuroada Mitsuyuki.
The principal image at this temple is Buddhist Saint Kobo, who returned from Tang, China in 806 after religious practices and built a Buddhist temple near the beach to pray that this sect will be transferred to Eastern Japan.
This shrine is famous for the deity to drive off bad evil spirits because another pronunciation for "waka" is "nyaku" which is smilar to "Yaku" (evil) in sound. On New Year's Eve, when a festival is held to protect people from bad fortunes, this shrine is crowded until very late at night.
In 1195 the Most Reverend Priest Eisai, started building this temple. There is a large framed piece of calligraphy hanging at the main gate written by former Emperor Gotoba and reads, "This is the first Zen temple in Japan."
In 1316, Getsudo Soki, a leading disciple of the Most Reverend Priest Daio opened this temple. This temple used to be located at Okinoshima Hakata Bay. chinese missions during the Ming dynasty (1368-1644) came to Japan and stayed at this temple, thus showing that iw was a place of diplomacy in the past.
Saint Kokua opened this temple in 1222, a mermaid allegedly appeared from the sea and was believed to be a good omen for the long prosperity of the nation. She was buried within the precincts and the temple's name was then changed to "Ryugujo" (the Sea-God's Palace.)
Sha Kakumei built this temple and the Reverend Priest Shoichi opened it. In 1975 mention of Chojun temple, a branch temple of Joten-ji temple, was found on a wooden board from a shipwreck salvaged from the sea-bed off Shinan in South Korea. It proves the involvement of Joten-ji temple in foreign trade in the past.
The Buddhist Saint, Saicho, opened this temple in 806. The principal image enshrined here is the "God of Medicine." Since these assets were donated to the city, the city designated this temple as a place of historic interest to utilize and preserve for all people.
A priest, Tan-e, originally paid for the construction of this temple at Mt. Yokotake in Dazaifu, and the Most Reverend Priest, Daio, became its first priest. The temple became the Kuroda Family temple after 1600 when Kuroda Nagamasa the feudal lord reigning Fukuoka at that time moved the temple to its present site.
This shrine is nicknamed Sanno-gu Palace. Sanno (Mountain King) is originally a nickname of the guardian deity of the Enryakuji temple on Mt. hiei in Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture. It is unknown when the spirit, the Mountain King, came to Hiyoshi shrine, but the name of "Hie" is recorded during the Civil War (1336-1392).
The Korokan was used as a guest house and was established at three places, Kyoto, Osaka and Fukuoka. The Korokan in Fukuoka (then known as Tsukushi) used to be called the "Tsukushi-no-murozumi prior to the nara period (710-794) at which time they entertained delegates from Tang, China; Silla, Korea or Japanese envoys on their way to or on their return from these countries. Korokan was not only used for entertaining purposes, but possessing lodging facilities while used as a window for trade, it was the most progressive place of international exchange in ancient Japan.
Former Nippon Life, Kyushu Branch Building
This building was completed in 1909 by Kingo Tatsuno, the well-known western style architect in the Meji era and designer of Tokyo Station. This building is typical of British architecture at the turn of the century and the bricks and stones were actually imported from Britain. From 1972, the building has been used as the Fukuoka Municipal Historical Museum.
Former Fukuoka Prefectural Public Hall
The former Fukuoka Prefectural Public Hall and Visitor's Guest House was constructed in March 1910, serving both as a guest's reception hall and as a visitors' residence during the time of the 13th Kyushu Okinawa 8 Prefecture Joint Exposition.
Nishi (West) Park
The scenic spot once called Mt. Aratsu during the Manyo era was in this location and is now called Nishi Koen (West Park). Over 2,500 cherry trees are planted here and in the spring time, the park is crowded with people enjoying the cheery blossoms. A shrine, monuments and statues are also found within the park.
Donza was a cotton quilted garment using old cotton. It was a garment which people wore in cold weather or which was used as working clothes. The Donza worn at Karadomari is a typical example of the working clothes worn in fishing villages along the Genkai Sea. Only a few examples remain.
This shrine is dedicated to Kannobi-no-mikoto, Ohnobi-no-mikoto and Yasomagatsubi-no-mikoto. Connected to the garrison protecting Dazaifu which was called Kegosho in Japanese, located near the Korokan guest house, the name Kego appears in the Manyoshu poems, in the Fujiwara Sumitomo's revolt and the Toi invasion episodes.
Production of Chikuzen Biwa Instrument
The Chikuzen Biwa music originated in the early Meiji era by Gensei horyu, a blind priest who played the biwa instrument at Jojuin temple, his base temple. The Biwa music enjoyed its greatest popularity from around the end of the Meiji era to the Taisho era.
Kinryuji temple belongs to the Sodo sect. The temple was established in 1508 by Harada hirotani, the lord of Takasu castle located at Takasu-mura, Ito-gun. The castle was later moved to Mt Arato and located within the castle town of Takasu by Takahashi Izu, a member of the Fukuoka clan in 1611. The castle was again moved to the present location by Kuroda Tadayuki, the second generation of the Fukuoka clan.
Hirao Mountain Villa
The Hirao mountain villa is the place where Nomura Boto, a nun from Fukuoka who was a poet in the last days of the Tokugawa Shogunate and a pioneer of politics lived.
In the pst Ohori park was an inlet of Hakata Bay called "Kusagae." During the construction of Fukuoka castle, Kuroda Nagamasa reclaimed a part of this inlet and built Fukuoka Port at the foot of Mt. Aratsu and utilized the southern part of the inlet as an outer moat of Fukuoka castle. In order to hold the Toa Fukuoka Exposition of in 1925, the Fukuoka Prefectural government started constructing a lake and surrounding area, modeled on the Xi Hi lake in China and opened it in 1929, naming it Ohori Park.
Ruins of the Eastern Study Institute
These are the ruins of the Shuyukan, which was one of the schools set up for the Kuroda clan, established in the eastern and western part of the castle town of Fukuoka in 1784.
Ruins of Fukuoka Castle
These are the ruins of the castle which was constructed by Kuroda Nagamasa over a period of 7 years from 1601. Another name for the castle was Maizuru (flying crane) castle.
Fukuoka City Art Museum
The Fukuoka Art Museum is a modern art museum possessing one of the best environments for art exhibition in Japan. It was opened in november 1979.
The Kin-in (golden seal) was discovered in 1784 at Shikanoshima. It is made from cast gold. The stem is made in the form of a coiled snake and there is a hole through which to run a braid. The five words "Kan-no-Na-no-Wa-no-Kokuoh" written in 3 lines are carved in an angular style of writing Chinese characters on the face in a "V" shape carving style. In the year of 57 A.D. it was given by Emperor Kobu of the later Han Dynasty to the King of the State of Na which existed in the plains of Fukuoka in those days. The seal is housed at the Fukuoka Art Museum.
Ruins of Western Study Institute
These are the ruins of the Kantukan, which was one of the Kuroda clan schools founded in the east-western part of the castle town of Fukuoka in 1784.
The maker of this sword is unknown, however, it was produced in the Kamakura period and is considered to be produced at Fukuoka in Bizen and belongs to the Fukuoka Ichimonji school. The sword is a national treasure.
Kamei Family Grave
Nanmei who was born in a doctor's family in 1743 studied medicine at Nagatomi Dokusho's hermitage, who was a leading disciple of Yamawaki Toyo's school of medicine.
Ruins of Kotomichi Okuma's Residence
Okuma Kotomichi was praised as one of the three best poets in the last days of the Tokugawa Shogunate together with Tachibana Akemi and Hiraga motoyoshi.
The Anakannon is an ancient tomb dug into the side of the hill around the latter part of the Kofun period. This tomb is located in the precincts of the Kosoji temple. Facing towards the front of the inner room inside the stone room, is a relief carving of the Amitabha and on the left and right side a Kannon (the goddess of Mercy) and Seishi Bodhisattva.
Ruins of Taiheiji Temple
Taiheiji temple is said to have been a Zen temple located within the hibaru village along the boundry of Kashihara. Its size is approximately 7,000 square meters. The Goddess of mercy which is the principal image has rotted away and the body of Buddha can not be seen.
Roji Ancient Tomb
The ancient burial mound of Roji is square at the head and rounded at the foot and is estimated to be a tomb built at the beginning of the 5th century A.D. Its total length is approximately 80 meters, the width is from 29 meters to 48 meters.
Remaining Part of a Bronze Pike Mold
This is a piece of an old sandstone which was used to produce a wide bronze pike in the latter part of the Yayoi period.
Biwa In Priest Gensei's Style
It is said that at the beginning of the heian period, a priest by the name of Gensei introduced biwa music as an accompaniment of Buddhist memorial services and became very active in and around the Jouin temple.
Beside their normal residences, all of the feudal lords of the Kuroda clan established their own villa. Normally, a villa was good for one generation only, however, shortly after becoming a feudal lord in the 6th Kuroda generation, Tsugitaka built a villa at Tajima, Swara-gun and made it their permanent villa. The place was named Yusentei after lord Minamoto's Tsuga tanka poetry. As the only Japanese garden with a pond within the city, it is now open to the public.
It is said, that the temple was founded by St. Seiga, a Tang priest during the period of Tenpyo (729-748). East and west Aburayama used to be one large holy area where 360 priests' quarters were established in the the area.
The shrine is dedicated to Kikuchi Taketoki. Hanyasu-no-mikoto and Ohsaagi-no-mikoto. Taketoki was a military commander who attacked the last Chinzei commissioner, Hojo Hidetoki and died defeated in 1333.
The Magaribuchi Five-Storied Stone Pagoda
This is estimated to have been constructed in the Muromachi period (1392-1573). According to legend, a person named Oguni Magoemon from the State of Hizen took refuge and passed away at this place.
The garden stretched out in front of the study which stood in the south-western side of Myofukuji temple.
Fukuoka City Museum
This museum acting as the Theme Pavilion during the Asian-Pacific Exposition in 1989 is designed to provide visitors with a light yet calm atmosphere. It is a steel-framed reinforced concrete two-story building and is equipped with an information service center.
Many famous items used by the successive feudal lords originate from the Takatori Kiln and the quiet refinement and elegant simplicity produced by the 7 color glaze has charmed the hearts of those masters of tea ceremony for generations.
The Bell of Saiko Ji Temple
The bell (pictured above) is one of the most noted items in the Heian period and is the 5th oldest bell existing in Japan with the year inscribed, stating that it was produced at the beginning of the Heian period, in 839.
Because a coronation ceremony for Emperor Showa was to be held in 1928, a Great Thanksgiving Service to offer the new grain named "Shodai" to the Emperor was held. The ceremonial rice paddy to grow the crop to be offered in the ceremony was designated to be grown at Wakiyama, Sawara-ku. At present a monument is erected where the paddy used to be.
Seiganji temple belongs to the shingon sect Ninnaji school. The temple was established inviting Eisai in 1175. Eiasi was a priest related to Ninnaji and so he stayed at this temple which faced the sea for fourteen years and dedicated himself in purchasing all the sutras the Sung ships brought into the country.
Peacock Golden Inlay Sutra Box
This is a rectangle sutra box, lacquered with black lacquer on the exterior and red in the interior. In Japan there are 7 more sutra boxes of the same kind. There are ancient documents which state that the gold inlay technique was already very popular by the beginning of the Yuan period (1260-1367) but among the articles remaining which were produced in 1315, this group of sutra boxes are the oldest.
Ancient Tomb Otsuka
This is a double mound tomb built on a 9 meter high hill at the foot of Mt. Takasu in the early 6th century. The mound extends 64 meters in length, and is 6.5 meters high with an empty moat surrounding it and a double moat on the southern end.
Imazu Doll Theater
This is a doll Joruri play which started in March 1891 when various instruments for the Obaru Joruri Doll was obtained from Obaru, the next village.
Marukumayama Ancient Tomb
This mound is a key-hole shaped ancient double burial mound, square at the head and round at the foot located at the foot of a hill. this was built in the early 5th century and is 85 meters long.
Historical Town of Fukuoka
This is a place where people are able to learn while recreating, established to preserve some of Fukuoka's valuable past and to hand this knowledge down to the next generation. In this village, there is a Hakata textile corner where it is possible to observe a Hakata textile workshop just as it was and a Hakata doll corner where you can watch a Hakata doll maker producing Hakata dolls.
Grave of Antei Miyazaki
At the age of 25, Antei Miyazaki (1623-1697) served as a forest magistrate under Kuroda Tadayuki, the 2nd feudal lord. After serving for a short time, he resigned and made a tour of various states within the country and studied farming. He became the first in Japan to complete a systematic agricultural technical book which was called "Compendium of Agriculture."
Nokonoshima Island is the only place where it is possible to tell where soldiers were garrisoned at strategic posts other than Iki Island. On the 9th of October of each year, at Shirahige shrine located on the historic island, gorgeous offerings are made by the four villages existing on the island. Representatives from each of the four villages are designated in turn.
Ruins of Nokata
The ruins of a village which used to exist from the latter part of the Yayoi era (3 B.C.-3 A.D.) to the Kofun (end of 3rd century-middle of the 6th century) era.
Noko Island Museum
The Noko Island Museum will not only introduce the life-styles of people who made their living from the sea through the 1,000 pieces of shipping materials of Noko Island but will also display
Motooka Urio Shell Mound
This is a shell mound formed in the latter part of the Jomon period (10,000 B.C.-300 B.C.) on the slope of the hill located in the south western part of the old Imazu Bay.
Ruins of Yoshitake-Takaki
The ruins of Yoshitake-Takaki are located on an alluvial fan on the left-side bank in the middle reaches of the Muromi River which flows through the Sawara plain located in the western suburbs of the city.
Iimori shrine is the main shrine of the former 7 villages in Sawara-gun. On the south side of the shrine, there used to be a temple attached tot he shrine called, Shinkyoin. At present, the Monjudo temple remains here.
Kotokuji temple belonged to the Rinzai sect's Daitokuji school. The temple was opened in 1270 by Nanpo Jyomyo who had returned from Sung, China.
Ruins of Imayama
The ruins of Imayama are located on the eastern side of Imazu Bay and are at Imayama, 80 meters above sea level. During the Yayoi period stone axes were manufactured here.